Evil shopkeeper who killed his wife during holiday to Pakistan is jailed for life

A shopkeeper from Scotland who robbed and murdered his wife during a holiday to Pakistan has been jailed for life.

Abdul Sattar, from Port Glasgow, killed his wife Mumtaz Sattar hours after arriving in Pakistan on 21 September 2013.

He left her with a head injury and a broken bone in her neck which was likely caused by strangulation.

Sattar had denied the accusations and claimed he and his wife were drugged with poison tea after the taxi driver who picked them up at Lahore airport had taken them through back alleys to get the drink.

After drinking this, Sattar claimed they both lost consciousness and they were thrown from the moving car.

His story came under suspicion when he insisted on having his wife buried within 14 hours. A suspicious family member took photographs of ‘scratches’ on Sattar’s neck at the funeral.

But after a two year long campaign for justice by Glasgow based lawyer Aamer Anwar the case finally came to an end after he confirmed Sattar, 42, has been convicted in Pakistan.

Three other men were also found guilty of robbing and doping Mrs Sattar by a court in Lahore.

The couple had been married for 14 years and had two daughters aged 14 and 17 who now stay with their grandmother in Glasgow.

A statement released by Mr Anwar said: “This was a coldly calculated and evil murder perpetrated by Abdul Sattar and three other men.

“The sole motive appears to have been his greed for money and wish to remarry.

“He took her to Pakistan with a plan hatched to murder her within hours of their arrival.

“He hoped by burying her within 12 hours and a wildly concocted story he would cover his tracks and escape to the UK.”

The family claim Mrs Sattar was subjected to regular beatings and emotional abuse.

The statement continued: “It has taken over four years and three sets of lawyers to get justice and in that period individuals in the Punjab legal system stood accused of corruption and taking bribes, whilst Mumtaz’s family were subjected to threats of violence if they did not withdraw the case.

“The family persevered and refused to give in, showing immense courage, but fundamentally they did so because of their love for Mumtaz.”